Inherent Vice (2014)
Parents GuideAdd to guide
Showing all 16 items
|MPAA||Rated R for drug use throughout, sexual content, graphic nudity, language and some violence|
Sex & Nudity
- One woman kisses a man and then it is implied proceeds to perform oral sex (off screen).
- There is one, very surreal scene in which a man and a women have sex. She comes out of the room naked, with brief full frontal nudity, and proceeds to tell the man to "have her as if she was a Manson girl". She sits down and proceeds to slowly and sensually describe some problems. Her bare chest is seen. She begins to massage his leg, beginning at the knee and slowly moving upward, obviously intending to excite him. When she gets to the top of his leg, she lays down on him with her body perpendicular to him and massages him with her body, obviously to excite him further. At a dramatic moment, he spanks her twice, and has sex from behind with the woman. This scene isn't particularly disturbing, but its very weird and dreamlike, and lasts in an unbroken, 6 minute long shot.
- Nude women are seen on articles of clothing.
- Masturbation and oral sex are implied in a few other scenes. Other references include a sign showing the services provided at a brothel, a mural of a nude woman on a wall, and a crude painting of a nude woman.
Violence & Gore
- A police officer pushes Doc rather violently, causing him to fall on the road.
- There is very little violence in Inherent Vice, but when it happens it often comes out of nowhere and can be shocking.
- A man is comically knocked out after being hit from behind. In the next scene, he wakes up next to a dead body with a moderately graphic bullet in hole in its head.
- Doc is hit with a baseball bat (off-screen) and then hung upside down on a pole. The attacker states that he's going to give him a lethal injection and then walks out. Doc escapes the pole, grabs a hard tile, and then hits the attacker repeatedly with it when he comes back in. He then gives the attacker the lethal injection (stabbing him in the neck with the syringe). Almost directly after this, another man walks in and Doc grabs a gun and shoots him twice. This whole scene is the only occurrence of graphic violence in the film.
- 42 uses of "fuck"
- Contains very strong language.
Alcohol, Drugs & Smoking
- Frequent of drug use, including cannabis, cocaine and the misuse of 'gas and air'.
- Fair to say though the story shows the detrimental effects of drugs, so does not promote or encourage their usage.
- Some drinking and one reference to heroin.
Frightening & Intense Scenes
- The story has a darker undertone that might upset some viewers.
- Scenes in the 'asylum' are somewhat disturbing.
- A surreal atmosphere to the film may confuse viewers.