The Ring (2002)
Parents GuideAdd to guide
Showing all 29 items
|MPAA||Rated PG-13 for thematic elements, disturbing images, language and some drug references|
Sex & Nudity
- Although this is unintentional, you can see the outline of a woman's nipples when she is in the well.
- A woman is seen in her bra and underwear while searching for a dress in her closet.
- A teen girl asks her friend if she and her boyfriend "did anything" during their weekend together
- The main character's child wants to be closer with his father, but the unmarried man tells his son that he and his mother were "young" when they had him.
Violence & Gore
- A video where non-stop graphic imagery is shown. We see nails going through fingers, decomposing bodies, suicides, implied hangings, murders, a very large many-legged bug crawling, etc.
- A woman pulls a shower drain stopper out of her throat. This is followed by hair. She gags and vomits.
- Several people die off-screen. Their faces are later shown warped and disfigured, very disturbing and frightening.
- A horse escapes its trailer aboard a ferry and falls into the water. It then floats into the boats propellers and is completely blended. We see blood, organs and matter in the water.
- A man commits suicide in a bathtub by filling it up and putting in electric wires. This is fairly brief, but very graphic.
- A woman holds a dead girl and watches as she decomposes into dirt. Rather even cartoonish than graphic.
- A woman's nose bleeds and later a man and a boy both have bloody noses.
- A woman takes a shower and we see some bloody water going down the drain.
- The movie is most known for it's scary scenes where the video is played. The rumor in the movie is after you watch the video you die in seven days. The video only lasts about thirty seconds.
- 1 use of Fucking
- 2 uses of Goddamn
- 2 uses of Damn
- 1 use of Hell
- 8 uses of Shit
- 2 uses of Bitch
- 1 use of Pissed
- 1 use of Pissy
Alcohol, Drugs & Smoking
- People smoke cigarettes. A woman briefly mentions 'getting high'.
- A teenager tells her friend to ask her mom where she keeps the Vicodin.
- In one scene, a man is seen buying cigarettes/drugs and the woman who sells it says that he "will die"
Frightening & Intense Scenes
- This movie has a 'race against time' plot device, where, if the characters fail, they can be killed by the fearsome antagonist. This idea can be distressing and disquieting for some viewers.
- Almost the entire film has a gloomy, depressing atmosphere.
- The movie overall relies upon psychological and slow-burn horror to unnerve and frighten viewers.
- The ghastly stringy-haired appearance of Samara, who walks in eerie, jerking movements, may frighten some viewers.
- Several but unexpected jumpscares are used