Top News

'Men in Black' & 'Shaft' Become Latest Summer Sequels to Disappoint

'Men in Black' & 'Shaft' Become Latest Summer Sequels to Disappoint
It was another disappointing weekend for a pair of new sequels as both Sony's Men in Black International and WB's Shaft were both unable to reach even the slimmest of studio expectations heading into the weekend.

The weekend is down significantly compared to last year when Incredibles 2 bowed with a record-shattering $182.6 million opening and next weekend will turn to Pixar once again, looking to Toy Story 4 to turn the tide.

Sony's release of Men in Black International debuted with a disappointing $28.5 million from 4,224 locations. By comparison, this is the lowest opening in the franchise by over $20 million as all three of the previous installments opened with over $51 million.

The $110 million production joins a slew of recently released sequels to not only under-perform based on pre-weekend expectations, but severely under-performing based on previous films in the franchise. Entering the weekend the film received mostly negative reviews and
See full article at Box Office Mojo »

Plans for an abandoned 'X-Men Beast' spin-off movie revealed

Plans for an abandoned 'X-Men Beast' spin-off movie revealed
With the final instalment of the X-Men franchise currently breaking the wrong kind of box-office records – X-Men: Dark Phoenix is reportedly on course to suffer a whopping -73% decline in its sophomore frame at the domestic box-office – plans for a Nicholas Hoult-headlined Beast spin-off movie have been revealed by The Hollywood Reporter.

According to the report, John Ottman, who worked on the franchise’s most successful entries – X2 and Days of Future Past – had written a script along with his assistant, Byron Burton, which was set in the 80s, and featured characters such as Professor X and Wolverine.

Burton revealed the film would see Hank McCoy (Nicholas Hoult) struggling to maintain the beast within during the fallout from Days of Future Past, and would ultimately work as a film in which they’d introduce X-Men villain, Mr. Sinister, who’d been manipulating the events of the movie.

He said
See full article at Flickeringmyth »

‘Game of Thrones’: Lena Headey Admits She Wanted a Better Ending for Queen Cersei

‘Game of Thrones’: Lena Headey Admits She Wanted a Better Ending for Queen Cersei
[Editor’s note: The following post contains spoilers for “Game of Thrones” Season 8.]

When HBO’s seminal fantasy series “Game of Thrones” wrapped up its truncated final season last month, the show inevitably ended with a slew of deaths for some of its signature characters, including Lena Headey’s embattled Queen Cersei, who ended her eight-season run in tragic fashion.

Despite making a last minute attempt to escape King’s Landing, suddenly turned into a flamed-out battleground after years of threats, Headey’s Cersei ultimately perished in the bowels of the city, clinging to her brother and lover Jaime as everything literally collapsed around them. It was quick, sad, and a touch confusing, and perhaps not the best way to send out two of the series’ most complex characters.

In a new interview with The Guardian, Headey herself admitted that she has her her “own gripes” with the way the series wrapped. She told the outlet, “I invested as
See full article at Indiewire »

‘The Tick’ Creator Confirms Canceled Amazon Series Fails To Find New Home

  • Deadline
‘The Tick’ Creator Confirms Canceled Amazon Series Fails To Find New Home
The Tick creator Ben Edlund delivered a dose of bad news to fans this weekend. Despite shopping the canceled Amazon series, there are no takers.

“After much door-knocking we have found no new home for the Tick series in this current market. #SaveTheTick & #LunaTickArmy I’m sorry we could not reward your glorious support with better news,” Edlund tweeted Friday. “I am so proud of the show, of the cast and crew and writers, and so warmed by the fans.”

Still, Edlund said he’s looking for another way to continue the story.

“We will look for other opportunities to continue this story with this cast, but the current series must I’m afraid come to its end,” he wrote in a second tweet.

He urged fans to stay positive because “The Tick always comes back.”
See full article at Deadline »

‘Bond 25’ Official Photo Shows Injured Daniel Craig Preparing to Return to Spy Thriller

‘Bond 25’ Official Photo Shows Injured Daniel Craig Preparing to Return to Spy Thriller
Looks like James Bond is nearly ready to get back into the spy action. In a newly posted photo on James Bond’s official Twitter page, franchise star Daniel Craig is pictured working out, even as his injured left ankle continues to heal up in a walking cast.

The caption, however, does hint that Craig is nearly ready to get back to shooting the Cary Fukunaga-directed Bond 25 soon, adding that he’s “prepping for shooting next week.”

For a production that’s been waylaid by two different accidents in less than a month, it’s finally a piece of good news. In May, Craig suffered an injury on the set of the film that led to the announcement that he would be undergoing minor ankle surgery, though production on the film continued as Craig underwent said surgery and underwent two additional weeks of rehabilitation.

Craig’s accident was only the first to hit the production.
See full article at Indiewire »

‘In the Heights’: Musical Creator Lin-Manuel Miranda Joins Film Version in Small Role

‘In the Heights’: Musical Creator Lin-Manuel Miranda Joins Film Version in Small Role
Powerhouse Lin-Manuel Miranda may not be returning to play the role he originated in his Broadway hit and Tony winner “In the Heights,” but he will be taking on a small role in director Jon M. Chu’s big screen treatment of the early aughts musical. On Friday, Miranda tweeted that he will be taking on the part of Piragüero, also known as “Piragua Guy,” in the upcoming film version of his first musical hit.

Piragüero is the owner of a piragua (a Puerto Rican shaved ice dessert) stand, and is trying to literally “scrap by” even when faced by the encroachment of heavy-hitter ice cream behemoth Mister Softee. When the show opened on Broadway in 2008, Miranda — who created the show and wrote its music and lyrics — played the lead role and narrator, Usnavi de la Vega, who will be played by Anthony Ramos in the film version.

The New
See full article at Indiewire »

Franco Zeffirelli, Oscar-Nominated Director for 'Romeo and Juliet,' Dies at 96

Franco Zeffirelli, Oscar-Nominated Director for 'Romeo and Juliet,' Dies at 96
Franco Zeffirelli, whose opulent set designs and sweeping directorial style bolstered operatic films, religious epics and Shakespearean love stories, has died. He was 96.

The Italian legend, who was nominated for an Academy Award for directing his innovative version of Romeo and Juliet (1968), died Saturday at his residence in Rome "without suffering," his son Pippo told The Hollywood Reporter. 

Romeo and Juliet, which starred then-unknown teenagers Olivia Hussey and Leonard Whiting, also received a best picture nomination and garnered Academy Awards for cinematography and costume design, indicative of Zeffirelli's visual emphasis (he also penned the screenplay).

The ...
See full article at The Hollywood Reporter »

Jessica Alba, Gabrielle Union Speak About Horrific "L.A.’s Finest" On-Set Accident

Jessica Alba, Gabrielle Union Speak About Horrific
Actresses Gabrielle Union and Jessica Alba spoke about how the horrific accident on the set of their action cop series “L.A.’s Finest” affected them and the crew at the 59th Monte Carlo Television Festival Saturday.

They also paid tribute to the main victim of the incident, executive producer/co-showrunner Brandon Sonnier, whose leg was amputated below the knee as a result.

In February, a stunt car on the San Pedro, California set of the show struck a shipping container causing it to roll onto Sonnier and co-showrunner Brandon Margolis, who were watching the car stunt scene on a monitor in the video village.
See full article at Variety - TV News »

‘Dark Phoenix’ Director Simon Kinberg on Film’s Failures: ‘It Didn’t Connect Enough With Audiences’

‘Dark Phoenix’ Director Simon Kinberg on Film’s Failures: ‘It Didn’t Connect Enough With Audiences’
Simon Kinberg isn’t burying his head in the sand. After debuting his feature filmmaking debut, the critically savaged and drastically underperforming “Dark Phoenix” last week, Kinberg popped up on KCRW’s “The Business” (via EW) to open up about his perceived failures on the X-Men feature.

“It clearly is a movie that didn’t connect with audiences that didn’t see it, it didn’t connect enough with audiences that did see it. So that’s on me,” Kinberg said.

The film debuted last weekend during the crush of the summer movie-going season, where it pulled in only $33 million in domestic dollars, a far cry from the receipts of recent X-Men features like “X-Men: Apocalypse” and “Logan.” With an estimated $200 million production cost (and that’s before marketing) and uninspiring foreign numbers, the film will likely go down as the franchise’s biggest bust ever.

And that’s to
See full article at Indiewire »

‘Frozen II’ Plot Details Revealed as New Footage Debuts at Annecy

‘Frozen II’ Plot Details Revealed as New Footage Debuts at Annecy
While Frozen fans will have to be satisfied with the recent Frozen II trailer for the time being, lucky attendees of this year's Annecy International Animated Film Festival got an extra sneak peek at the highly anticipated sequel arriving this fall. Disney debuted the film's first footage and a look at key artwork, courtesy of head of animation Becky Bresee and head of effects Marlon West. The team also revealed that the story picks up three years after the ending of the first film, along with additional plot details. Though Frozen II is set to arrive in theaters …
See full article at Collider.com »

Dick Wolf Plots ‘First-Ever’ Cross-Network Crossover

Dick Wolf Plots ‘First-Ever’ Cross-Network Crossover
Veteran television producer Dick Wolf, best known for creating the “Law & Order” franchise, is eyeing what he believes will be the first-ever cross-network crossover.

The crossover would be between his CBS freshman procedural “FBI” or its in-the-works spinoff “FBI: Most Wanted” and one of his NBC shows, such as “Law & Order: Special Victims Unit” or “Chicago P.D.

The decision whether to go with “FBI” or its spinoff, and which NBC show to partner with “depends on which story wins,” he told Variety at the Monte Carlo TV Festival on Saturday.

Wolf said the cross-network crossover was his idea,
See full article at Variety - TV News »

Box Office: ‘Men in Black: International’ Ranks No. 1 Overseas With $74 Million

Sony’s “Men in Black: International” is making good on its title, leading overseas box office charts with $74 million from 56 foreign territories.

Combined with its disappointing $28 million start in North America, the latest chapter in the sci-fi action series debuted with $102.2 million globally. “Men in Black: International” sees “Thor: Ragnarok” co-stars Tessa Thompson and Chris Hemsworth reteam, this time on a mission to protect Earth from the scum of the universe. F. Gary Gray directed the fourth installment in the franchise, which comes 25 years after the first film with Will Smith and Tommy Lee Jones. Sony and Columbia Pictures co-financed with Tencent Pictures and Hemisphere Media Capital, spending $110 million to produce the movie.

Men in Black: International” had the strongest start in China, collecting $26.3 million in ticket sales. Other top markets include Russia with $5.1 million, South Korea with $4.9 million, followed by Mexico ($3.9 million), Japan ($3.5 million) and the United Kingdom ($3.4 million).

Meanwhile,
See full article at Variety - Film News »

Watch Keb’ Mo’ Decry Single-Use Plastic in ‘Don’t Throw It Away’ Video

Watch Keb’ Mo’ Decry Single-Use Plastic in ‘Don’t Throw It Away’ Video
Keb’ Mo’ has shared a video advocating against single-use plastic using his track “Don’t Throw It Away” with Taj Mahal. The song features on singer’s just-released new album Oklahoma.

The “Don’t Throw It Away” visual features Mo’ strumming the blues in a chair alongside images of landfills, oceans and the effects of what happens when single-use plastic isn’t recycled. “I use it all the time, I must confess,” he sings of plastic on the track. “But if I care a little more, I’ll use a little less.
See full article at Rolling Stone »

Does ‘Godzilla: King of the Monsters’ Have a Post-Credits Scene?

  • The Wrap
Does ‘Godzilla: King of the Monsters’ Have a Post-Credits Scene?
While “Godzilla: King of the Monsters” may be remembered as a disappointment at the box office, its long-term legacy should be kinder — because it’s just about unfathomably weird and crazy for a big budget movie from a major Hollywood studio.

Godzilla: King of the Monsters” sees the gargantuan beast return to do battle against some of his most famous rivals, led by the three-headed dragon King Ghidorah. Through it all, humanity is stuck struggling to survive the onslaught, while the mysterious Monarch agency does its best to learn how to communicate with the creatures.

The new “Godzilla” film, despite the seeming finality of its title, is not the climax of this series, but simply a ramping up toward to the true epic conflict that the MonsterVerse has been building toward — which will come in next year’s “Godzilla vs. Kong.” That film will see the two most well known
See full article at The Wrap »

Does ‘Men in Black: International’ Have a Post-Credits Scene?

Does ‘Men in Black: International’ Have a Post-Credits Scene?
The “Men in Black” franchise has now lasted for 22 years — though with “Men in Black: International” we’re only on the fourth movie in that span. The new flick is a soft reboot of sorts, leaving behind Will Smith’s and Tommy Lee Jones’ characters for the fresh faces of Chris Hemsworth and Tessa Thompson, with only Emma Thompson’s Agent O to bridge the gap between the old iterations of the series and this new one.

Men in Black: International” takes us to the agency’s London branch, where we follow Chris Hemsworth’s Agent H and Tessa Thompson’s Agent M as they have to deal with a new threat to Earth, one which may involve a mole in Mib.

Men in Black: International” clearly represents an attempt by Sony to revive the aging franchise with new blood. While no further films in the series have been announced,
See full article at The Wrap »

New Poll Shows 10-Point Spike In Support for Impeachment Hearings

The number of Americans who support the start of impeachment hearings now for President Donald Trump is up 10 percentage points since May, according to a new NBC News/Wall Street Journal poll.

The increase is due to a surge in support from Democrats. Forty-eight percent of Democrats want hearings to begin now, as compared to just 30 percent last month. Only 6 percent of Republicans agree with their counterparts, while 22 percent of independents want hearings to begin.

New: Support for impeachment grows among Democrats #Mtp #IfItsSunday

48% of Democrats now say they support
See full article at Rolling Stone »

‘Men in Black: International’ Disappoints With $28 Million Box Office Opening

  • The Wrap
‘Men in Black: International’ Disappoints With $28 Million Box Office Opening
The box office has always been said to be a cyclical business, and right now it is in a serious holding pattern as Sony’s “Men In Black: International” leads a weekend of weak grosses while movie theaters once again wait for Disney to get business moving again with “Toy Story 4” next week.

The fourth installment of the “Men In Black” series opened to $28.5 million from 4,224 screens. While that’s only slightly below Sony’s projections of a $30 million weekend, it is well below the low $50 million range that all three previous “Mib” films opened to. Word of mouth has been tepid at best with a B on CinemaScore and 24% from critics on Rotten Tomatoes.

Sony’s exposure on the film was limited, as the $110 million production budget was co-financed by Hemisphere and Tencent. The other bit of encouraging news for the film is that it did slightly better overseas,
See full article at The Wrap »

‘Men in Black: International’ Leads Box Office With Muted $28 Million

‘Men in Black: International’ Leads Box Office With Muted $28 Million
Hollywood seems to be coming down with a contagious case of franchise fatigue this summer, as “Men in Black: International” and “Shaft” become the latest sequels largely dismissed by moviegoers in North America.

Sony’s “Men in Black: International” led ticket sales at the box office this weekend with $28.5 million, but still fell short of expectations. Those receipts represent roughly half of what the previous installments in the sci-fi series earned during their first weekend in theaters.

The latest entry, toplined by Tessa Thompson and Chris Hemsworth, wasn’t expected to reach the same heights as the original films starring Will Smith and Tommy Lee Jones, but analysts anticipated a start above $30 million. Directed by F. Gary Gray, the sequel sees Thompson and Hemsworth team up as black-suited agents protecting the Earth from a series of alien attacks. “Men in Black: International” is now banking on moviegoers overseas to make the action adventure a hit.
See full article at Variety - Film News »

Tiffany Haddish Cancels Atlanta Show Over Georgia’s Abortion Ban

Tiffany Haddish Cancels Atlanta Show Over Georgia’s Abortion Ban
Tiffany Haddish has canceled her upcoming stand-up show in Atlanta to protest Georgia’s new abortion law. The Girls Trip star was originally scheduled to perform at the Fox Theatre on June 22nd, but said she wouldn’t do her show in Georgia unless the heartbeat bill is rescinded.

“After much deliberation, I am postponing my upcoming show in Atlanta. I love the state of Georgia, but I need to stand with women and until they withdraw Measure HB481, I cannot in good faith perform there,” she said in a statement to ticketholders.
See full article at Rolling Stone »

Bonnaroo Attendee Dies After Found Unresponsive at Campgrounds

A 27-year-old man died after suffering a “medical situation” at the Bonnaroo campgrounds Saturday, organizers announced.

A medical team at the Manchester, Tennessee festival were called to the campgrounds and found the man unresponsive and breathing. The Bonnaroo Ems team and Coffee County Emergency Medical Services arrived minutes later and administered CPR, but the man – who was camping at the festival with his father – was pronounced dead after being transported to a nearby hospital, the Tennessean reports.

“Earlier today, our medical team in Plaza 11 was asked to respond to a
See full article at Rolling Stone »
An error has occured. Please try again.

Recently Viewed